What Happened This Week–a list

  • Monday realized we were out of some things and hadn’t done our biweekly shopping run–so ran to get what was needed with Rachel.  Also ran to the library to pick up some more books for her voracious appetite.  Convinced her to try something a little meatier than the American Girls books she was getting.
  • Tuesday the kids found a nest of baby rabbits.  They ooed and ahed and wanted to help them but we decided to see if the mother came back.  Got the beginnings of the yard sale set up.
  • Wednesday lots of rain, all day.  Worked at the antique shop researching  jewelry then visited grandma in the afternoon.  Came back and found the baby bunnies obviously dehydrated and soaked through–decided to bring them in, feed them, and warm them. (I had dealt with orphaned ones before, though they had been slightly older.)  Warned kids they probably wouldn’t make it.
  • Thursday Bunnies lived through the night.  Set up what I could of the sale on my own (with the kids).  As I went to pick up my brother from the bus stop sop he could help me finish setting up a freak storm hit our utility pole (we think) and knocked out our router, hubbies network card, and the breaker in the kitchen.  Finished setting up sale–no more rain.
  • Friday–a real scorcher. 90 degrees and spent all day outside since I had no internet access anyway.  Bunnies made it through the night but were acting funny.   Worked on paintings while having the sale–lots of people took my business card, showing interest in commissioned work.  Sold some of the big stuff I have wanted rid of.  Later when I went to feed the bunnies found 3 dead–long story but had to do with not enough pooping.  Figured out what to do differently but other two had a hard time eating and were dehydrated.  We had to run to Target to get the new Router and a few other essentials.   Shamus set it up while Rachel and I worked hard to rehydrate the bunnies.  My dad stopped by and fixed the breaker so we could use the kitchen outlets again.
  • Saturday the other two bunnies didn’t make it.  They had been too dehydrated and sick when we realized the day before for us to really help them.  This was significant because my husband has severe animal allergies–they trigger his asthma in a dangerous way, so the kids have very little experience with animals.  I grew up with them and raised a Canadian goose as well as several bunnies, a cat, and several dogs.  They have never had the opportunity to pour themselves into an animals life before, nor to lose the pet.  I am impressed at how they are dealing with it. I made the kids pancakes with berry syrup to cushion the blow then went to set up.  We also had the rest of the yard sale, sold the rest of the big things, then went to the pond for a nice long swim (while I sat with my dad and painted and read.)  Kids are now playing Zelda while I type, all are hot and tired and ready for sleep.  I am waiting for a person from Freecycle to come get the remains of the yard sale.

All in all it was a greatly educational week.  Lots happened that the kids learned from, some nicer than others.  Ready to relax tomorrow.

I do have photos and may add them to this post later.