Braving the Storm for a Hoodie

Yesterday it stormed. Windy, rainy, lightening-y storm. It was also 60-something degrees out. More often in February that storm would be ice and snow, though occasionally it is rain, rain, and more rain–of the flood the basement sort.

I didn’t want to go out yesterday. Of course, knowing that the next day was going to be 30-something and snowing was a bit of an incentive to get what I had to do done. While I was till at home pondering whether I really wanted to go out my mom called and told me of a huge sale at JcPenneys. She started the conversation with: “I know you usually don’t by clothes at the regular store but….75% off everything that is on sale”. (She meant I shop thrift shop for everything, and she is right.) Of course the fact that my hubby has fallen in love with a hoodie he received for Christmas and has not worn any of his other sweat shirts since was a bit of an incentive to consider a trip to Pennys (It is a “No more Cowbell ” sweatshirt, referencing a Saturday Night Live skit–it looks good on him and has made him fall in love with hoodies).

I piled the kids in the car so we could visit my grandmother 45 miles away before the weather got cold and snowy again. By the time we returned home it was pouring rain, lightening, and pitch black. The type of black where the street lights are the only light and the glare from the road makes finding it tricky. I dropppedthe kids at home and continued the other direction in search of hoodies.

An hour later I was wandering around Pennys with several hoodies (including one for me) on my arm waiting in line while a lady with three kids checked out. The older child drove me insame, calling her little brothers “babies” and acting like they animals–they were typical 3 and 4 year olds and she was only a few years older but obviously thought herself way above them, the mom never talked to them at all, only talked to the daughter. It was odd and creepy.

When I checked out I had paid $32 for three hoodies, two t-shirts, a long sleeve t, and assorted undergarments. Woohoo!

I ran to the car (the wind was insane) and then made a quick run to the nearby grocery store to pick up a few things we were out of and 5 dozen eggs–they were on sale and the kids will eat a dozen a day if I let them.

When I left Giant Eagle I removed my hat lest it blow across the parking lot. The wind was worse though the rain had slowed. I hurried to the car and pulled out. As I started to leave the mall parking lot all the lights went out. The mall lights were still on and a few of the out parcel businesses though some went off and came back on in the “we have a generator” fashion. The parking lot though was pitch black. It was full of cars and black as the blackest night. It was creepy. The wind must have knocked it out.

I gave the kids a quick call to let them know I was on my way then headed out and make sure our electricity was still on. When I got home the kids were in a panic–I had mentioned that the parking lot lights had gone out and somehow this scared them even though they knew I was on my way home.

In the end Shamus was happy with his hoodies and t-shirts and that I hadn’t spent a ridiculous amount of money on what we didn’t need. ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes, I have done that before–sales and me are a dangerous combination, which is one reason I shop thrift. ๐Ÿ™‚